Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wanna Salsa ?

Arms were everywhere, shooting up towards the sky, sliding off each other’s arms and backs, and you could only wonder if they had discovered some magical potion that cuts through everything. Sweat dropped off their brows and clung desperately to their clothes but the smiles never waned. Pirouetting on pencil heels and looking ever so electric in their colorful tops, they locked themselves into the arms of the men and flowed like wind. Welcome to the enchanting world of salsa and salseros where the greatest high is dancing, and not alcohol or smoke. For years I was intimidated every time I walked into a club with four left feet. I would freeze at the thought of someone asking me to dance. Sometime back couple of my friends joined salsa classes and in no time they were electrifying the stage with their moves. When I saw them flowing to the tunes I can’t stop myself. What is instantly appealing about Salsa is that being essentially a social dance, it attracts and brings together all kinds of people with a magnetic energy that cuts across age, culture, language and any other human boundaries. I have seen the plainest, shyest, so called insignificant men and women transform into graceful, passionate and poetic movers on the dance floor. Learn the basics, feel the music and let yourself go. Immediately yours truly also enrolled to the next batch and now here I am in F-Bar moving to the beats. The pulse of salsa music has a hypnotic quality; it gets under your skin and makes you move almost involuntarily. What attract the common dancer to salsa are the elegant yet sensual glides and twirls. Two people, who may be perfect strangers, can connect and move to salsa, even if only for five minutes. While merengue and jive are peppier, salsa is more passionate and stylish. I attend classes during the weekends and in the evening, there are performances ranging from the exotic, to the energetic to the sublime. So what if Bangaloreans aren’t ‘technically’ allowed to shake a leg? That doesn’t stop us from getting out there and hitting the dance floor — on a weekday! Three weeks back was the first in series of Tuesday night Salsa’s at F-Bar. We went after work and grooved to the moves till the Cinderella hours. As I’m just a beginner, I managed to stamp on my partners feet couple of times without any guilty feeling :D. As experts say, the key is not to be scared of mistakes, but to live with them, bash on and just keep dancing. That’s the only way to learn. Apart from the fun and learning new art, the newfound friends are an added bonus. But most importantly, I have found yet another way to express myself, and get closer to my soul. The salsa fever is catching up fast and I believe pretty soon everybody would know how to salsa. From classes at various gymkhanas to dedicated nights at Casa Del Sol and F-Bar, lively music, sensual yet not-too-intimidating moves and a very social, interactive couple dance—are the key ingredients for the success of-Salsa. Wanna dance???

12 comments:

Shweta said...

Nice one... Even I feel like joining Salsa :)

Sudhir Kekre said...

well pradip, i live in Miami. the spanish live and breathe salsa. they are so graceful. nice sketches by the way.
and loved the volvo post too. great narration.

Pradip said...

Hey thanks sudhir for your comments...

Tatha said...

Nice one Dude..it is also a stress buster of the highest order..keep dancing

Anonymous said...

Thats so tempting... It makes me dance!!

Unknown said...

i likeee it...i am feeling proud for in a way having influenced u....yippiee!! :P

Unknown said...

P.S. thats my foot he is talking abt...

NG said...

Salsa is an elegant dance form..and its fun too. Good to know you are becoming a master at this. Very good post...after reading this i feel like joining too.

Neeraja said...

While reading this post all i can think about is Richard Gere in "Shall We Dance".. this dance seems to be so interesting that even an old man can get tempted to dance salsa..:)

I think ur post is quite enticing to draw more people to join salsa..

Unknown said...

not bad paddu.. baba alex will be proud of u

Hridya (Facebook) said...

Y r u tempting me???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Krish Sahoo (Facebook) said...

sahi hai bhidu!